HOW DOES CURBSIDE COMPOST WORK?
1. We provide a 13 gallon bin with locking lid and wheels for $20. The bin will be delivered to your household when you sign up for service. For an additional $10 we will include a 2 gallon counter top container with 50 counter top container liners. Check out the complete Starter Kit.
2. Line your bin with either certified compostable bags or paper grocery bags. This is required to ensure the bins can be fully emptied. The drier the contents in the bin, the easier the bins empty, especially in winter, and the less odor and flies. We recommend BioBags. They come in various sizes, the 13 gallon BioBags for curbside containers and the 3 gallon BioBags for counter top containers.
3. Fill up your bin. We accept all foods including meat, bones, dairy, shells, and all certified compostable service ware. No waxed cardboard, milk cartons, soda cups, drier lint, or cleaning chemicals on paper towels. Find out more details on Whats Compostable.
4. Put your bin out for pick up once a week. Please make sure your bin is on the sidewalk, and not blocked by obstacles like other garbage bins, trees, etc. If you don’t have your bin out by the time the truck goes by, feel free to put two bins out the following week. In addition to compost, we also pick up textiles in a separate bag. Learn more about Textile Recycling.
5. Smile. You most likely will not have to put your regular trash out as often, your making good use of your food scraps, helping the environment, and it’s fun.
6. Receive finished compost in spring. Your hard work comes full circle. Availability varies per service and town and can depend on a communal place to dump finished compost for people to take.
WHAT CAN I COMPOST?
WE ACCEPT organic material, including:
- Dairy Products
- Meats and Bones
- Coffee Grounds, Filters and Tea bags
- Seafood and Shells
- Fruit and Vegetables
- Paper Napkins and Towels
- Anything designed to be compostable
*We DO NOT accept waxed cardboard, milk cartons, paper cups or similar items not certified compostable.
*We DO NOT accept Yard Waste, including grass clippings. Inquire with your town for their yard waste services.
We take contamination seriously. Bins will not be picked up if contamination is a problem. We can work together to adjust your composting system to eliminate contamination.
APPROVED COMPOSTABLE PRODUCTS
When purchasing compostable forks, bowls, packaging, etc. look for certified compostable products, not biodegradable. These products meet the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) specifications for compostable plastic ASTM D6400-04 and compostable packaging ASTM D6868-03.