How does curbside compost work?
2. Line your bin with either certified compostable bags or paper grocery bags. This is required to ensure the bins can be fully emptied. The drier the contents in the bin, the easier the bins empty, especially in winter, and the less odor and flies. We recommend BioBags. You can purchase small 3 gallon BioBags here, or larger 13 gallon BioBags here.
3. Fill up your bin. We accept all foods including meat, bones, dairy, shells, and all certified compostable service ware. No waxed cardboard, milk cartons, soda cups, drier lint, or cleaning chemicals on paper towels. More details on whats compostable can be found here.
4. Put your bin out for pick up once a week. Please make sure your bin is on the sidewalk, and not blocked by obstacles like other garbage bins, trees, etc. If you don’t have your bin out by the time the truck goes by, feel free to put two bins out the following week.
5. Smile. You most likely will not have to put your regular trash out as often, your making good use of your food scraps, helping the environment, and it’s fun.
6. Receive finished compost in spring. Your hard work comes full circle. Availability varies per service and town and can depend on a communal place to dump finished compost for people to take.
What can I compost?
WE ACCEPT organic material, including:
- Dairy Products
- Meats and Bones
- Coffee Grounds, Filters and Tea bags
- Seafood and Shells
- Fruit and Vegetables
- Paper Napkins and Towels
- Anything designed to be compostable
*We DO NOT accept waxed cardboard, milk cartons, paper cups or similar items not certified compostable.
*We DO NOT accept Yard Waste, including grass clippings. Inquire with your town for their yard waste services.
We take contamination seriously. Bins will not be picked up if contamination is a problem. We can work together to adjust your composting system to eliminate contamination.
Approved Compostable Products
When purchasing compostable forks, bowls, packaging, etc. look for certified compostable products, not biodegradable. These products meet the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) specifications for compostable plastic ASTM D6400-04 and compostable packaging ASTM D6868-03.